Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Getting Schooled Chapter 3



The first week of basic training scared the crap out of me. The Mamas and the Papas came out with “Monday, Monday,” a song that hit the music charts that same week.That tune became my marching anthem, my head  shaved, standing tall just like the other guys,  I had just turned seventeen. Life showed up in a big way. I won't bore you with these weeks of training but this young recruit was serious.  Just saying, “yes sir" to everybody in sight, it was real. I was inoculated for every disease known to man. I took tests and more tests. I had to march everywhere or else. Well, it turns out my IQ was higher than my expectations.  Looks like I was volunteering for submarine school. The six other volunteers with me now heading for the East Coast and a place called New London, Connecticut. The rest of my boot camp company headed out to the fleet. The conflict in Vietnam was heating up. The man power was needed. Graduation day in San Diego and who was there? Hell it was my “old man.” The ride back home was good.We were both different than a few months before. Dad laughed and we enjoyed each others company. The two weeks of "Navy Leave" at home was a great. .

Read the rest HERE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

No comments: